What happens if I miss a court date?

Should you miss a court date without obtaining an extension of your first appearance, then the Judge can either issue a bench warrant for your arrest (depending upon the type of charge), or charge an additional administrative fee of $25 to your costs and order that a letter be forwarded to you advising of your failure to appear. This entirely depends upon the charge and is at the Judge’s discretion.

In addition, if you miss your first appearance court date, a Notice of Failure to Comply will be forwarded to you automatically setting your appearance on the next court date. You will have 30 days to comply by either contacting the Court Clerk to reset your case on the docket, or forwarding payment as indicated on the letter to the Court if your charge is an infraction. If you fail to do either, then notification will be sent to the State of Kansas, Driver Control Bureau requesting suspension of your driver’s license.

If a defendant is under a bond, the bond will be forfeited and a bench warrant will be issued. Failure to appear for trial or sentencing will also result in an immediate warrant being issued.

Show All Answers

1. Who can I talk to about my case?
2. Can I speak with the Judge before my court date?
3. Can I speak with the City Prosecutor before my court date?
4. Can I pay my ticket before coming to Court?
5. Can I obtain an extension for first appearance or payment?
6. Can I pay my fine in installment payments?
7. What are administrative fees and court costs and why must I pay them?
8. Do I need an attorney?
9. Can I have a court-appointed attorney?
10. What happens if I miss a court date?
11. Do you offer diversions on traffic tickets?
12. How do I get my driver’s license reinstated after the Court has it suspended?
13. Can my spouse come to court for me?
14. When I come to court on my first appearance, do I need to provide evidence or witnesses?
15. What do I wear to court?